The establishment of FIK
The FIK (formerly called IKF) was established in 1970 and it is composed of national federations that exclusively represent their country/region in kendo. At the time of its establishment, 17 countries/regions were affiliated with the FIK. As of May 2015, 57 countries/regions are FIK affiliates.
The FIK is a non-political and friendly organization. Its purpose is to propagate and develop kendo, iaido and jodo internationally, and to foster mutual trust and friendship among its affiliates. The headquarters of the FIK is located in Tokyo, Japan.
Major Activities of FIK
- ①To provide various assistance in order to promote the organization of the National Kendo Federation in each nation.
- ②To hold and assist seminars and workshops.
- ③To establish the rules for international matches.
- ④To provide standards (guidelines) for the Dan/Kyu examinations.
- ⑤To organize World Kendo Championships.
- ⑥To exchange information on techniques, equipment, etc.
- ⑦To undertake other activities necessary for achievement of the purposes set forth in the preceding articles.
FIK Officials（2015-2018）as of Sep 2 2017
Approved at the FIK Board of Directors Meeting on September 2, 2017, in Inchon, Korea.
President: Fujio Cho (Japan)
Vice President: Masami Matsunaga (Japan)
Vice President: Yoshiteru Tagawa (USA)
Vice President: Jong-Rim Rhee (Korea)
Vice President: Dieter Hauck (Austria) (from, Sept. 2, 2017)
Secretary General: Yukio Sato (Japan)
Assistant Secretary General: Takeshi Takamori (Japan)
Auditor: Zsolt Vadadi (Hungary)
Auditor: Graham Sayer (New Zealand)
Directors (Asian Zone)
Seung- Ho Shin (Korea)
Hsiang-Lo Wu (Chinese Taipei) (from May 18, 2017)
Directors (American Zone)
Christian D’Orangeville (Canada)
Elizabeth Akemi Kodato (Brazil)
Kathleen Nekomoto (Hawaii)
Directors (European Zone)
Gianfranco Moretti (Italy)
Detelf Viebranz (Germany)
Eric Malassis (France) (from November 7, 2016)
Major Activities of FIK
- Council Nations and Directors(Asian Zone)
- Korea: Seung- Ho Shin
- Chinese Taipei: Wu Hsiang- Lo (from May 18 2017)
- Council Nations and Directors (American Zone)
- Canada: Christian D’ Orangeville
- Brazil: Elizabeth Akemi Kodoto
- Hawaii: Kathleen Nekomoto
- Council Nations and Directors(European Zone)
- Italy: Gianfranko Moretti
- Germany: Detelf Viebranz
- France: Eric Malassis (from Nov 7 2016)